Modified Playskool Kid Keys
Modified Playskool Kid Keys - I'd seen these circuit-bent by other people, and it looked like it had a lot of potential. It didn't disappoint - I found a lot of bends, and some quite good ones at that.
Not counting mapping bends, and sorting out all the notes and scribbles, the build time was one day (although I spread it out over a two-day period). Schematics will be forthcoming, as soon as I've drawn them up.
- Glitch matrix w/selector. Six momentary switches connected up into a 6x2 matrix with a toggle switch, effectively giving 12 different glitch variations. Some are a little mundane, while others will trigger rhythm glitches, loop sound, and even assign drum sounds to the keyboard.
- Vibrato/distortion matrix. Three switches with five settings in total, which impart distorted vibrato to the sound, with pitch variations on each setting.
- Pitch knob. A 1k potentiometer for tuning the pitch lower.
- Cancel selector. Cancels either the rhythm or melody of the demo tunes.
- High pass/overdrive selector. One setting is a fixed high-pass filter, while the other overdrives the signal.
- Distortion/filter knob. 1k potentiometer. Imparts a reedy-sounding distortion, which sounds more like a resonant high-pass filter the further you turn it.
- Distortion knob 2. A 100k potentiometer which is a little unpredictable and reacts differently depending on what other bends are activated. Sometimes it gives things a bassy stutter like a low-frequency ring modulator. In conjunction with the Overdrive switch, it produces a loud, tunable feedback tone.
||The flute sound raw, then with vibrato turned on.
||Flute with ovedrive switched on.
||Pressing the glitch button, then activating and turning up the distortion/filter.
||Another glitch, with pitch shift.
|Glitches Distort 2
||Glitch switches engaged, and low-frequency wobbliness from distortion knob 2.
|Glitches Pitch Distort 2
||More of the chunky distortion with some pitch shifting.
|Overdrive Distort 2
||This is the wacky tone you get if you switch on overdrive and distortion knob 2 at the same time and mess with the pitch.
||An example of the craziness that ensues when glitches are triggered in succsession with vibrato turned on.
|Vibrato High Pass Pitch
||Some sweeps made with vibrato, the high-pass filter, and the pitch knob.
Making sense of my notes...
Bends installed! Did someone say spaghetti?
* * *